Pumpkins are synonymous with Halloween and are also an incredibly healthy treat for dogs, with plenty of fibre and vitamin A. Try making your own dog treats with pumpkin and peanut butter with a reciple like this: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/peanut-butter-and-pumpkin-dog-treats/.
These aren’t necessarily just a fall treat but are certainly a big part of autumn family dinners. For your dog, cooked or dehydrated sweet potato offers them essential fibre, vitamins and minerals.
If there’s a fruit that’s as ubiquitous with autumn as pumpkins it’s apples. If you want to give your dog a sweet and crunchy treat, give them a slice of apple. For a twist on the theme, if you have a dehydrator apple chips are also a hit.
Any veteran trick-or-treater knows that raisins are almost certainly going to be at the bottom of the pillowcase by the end of the evening. Keep these and other Halloween treats away from dogs as grapes and raisins are poisonous to them.
Chocolate is poisonous to pets. Never keep chocolates where the dogs can get them or you will need to see an emergency veterinarian.
Sweets & Wrappers
While not all candies are poisonous, too many of them can lead to pancreatitis, a potentially fatal condition that may not be noticeable for several days. The wrappers, meanwhile, can obstruct the gastrointestinal tract and require emergency surgery for removal. Again, ensure that all Halloween treats are kept safely away from any dogs’ access.
An increasing trend is for children to wear or walk with glow sticks while trick-or-treating, helping to improve visibility on an evening walk about town. If a pet were to puncture one of these glow sticks it would cause oral pain, irritation and even foaming. Store these where the pets can’t get them and dispose of them when finished.